Setting up and managing the Blackboard Grade Centre

You have several options available to you around organising your grade centre to either help you mark/add grades or so students see the marks in the order you want them to see things in.

A weighted column can be created in the Grade Centre that generates a grade based on the result of selected grade columns and their respective percentages. These are normally used to generate an indicative overall mark of all assessment tasks (e.g. two assessment tasks, one weighted at 70% and the other at 30%) that students undertake in a module (assuming that provisional grades for all assessment tasks are published in the Grade Centre).

A weighted column can be created in the Grade Centre that generates a grade based on the result of selected grade columns and their respective percentages. These are normally used to generate an indicative overall mark of all assessment tasks that students undertake in a module (assuming that provisional grades for all assessment tasks are published in the Grade Centre).

A smart view allows you to customise how the grade centre is displayed when you open it. Two examples of its use are; Setting up a smart view for each tutor on a large module site so tutors see only their students. Setting up a smart view to quickly see if any students have failed an assessment task.

Statistical information can be helpful to module leaders when producing end of year module reports. There is a number of things that can be found on the statistics page including, the range, average, median and grade distribution.

Module Leaders must collate all marks for their module and clearly indicate the marks for each task identifying the tasks and the weightings as per the module descriptor. Complete sets of internally moderated marks must be submitted on a spreadsheet to Student Administration by the marks submission deadline. The spreadsheet must be in Excel format and preferably downloaded from the Grade Centre in Blackboard. This comprehensive guide includes detailed step by step instructions for each stage of the process and the support available.

Module Leaders must collate all marks for their module and clearly indicate the marks for each task identifying the tasks and the weightings as per the module descriptor. Complete sets of internally moderated marks must be submitted on a spreadsheet to Student Administration by the marks submission deadline. The spreadsheet must be in Excel format, adhering to requirements set out below, and preferably downloaded from the Grade Centre in Blackboard. This guide provides a summary of the information that Student Administration require in the marks spreadsheet.

Grading Schemas allow you to match mark boundaries with an alternative display on Grade Centre. This feature allows you to give non-numerical feedback such as letter grading scales, and can support the use of Grade Based Assessment. For example if you give a numerical score of 62% on an assignment, Blackboard will automatically convert it to the grade and display this as a Low 2.1 in the Grade Centre and to the student in My Grades. Similarly you can manually type in the grade and Blackboard will associate it with the equivalent numerical mark or score.  

Where a student undertakes a series of tasks (e.g. quizzes) that contribute to an overall score, you may wish only to include the highest scores and exclude the lowest ones. For example, students may be required to complete five quizzes but only the four highest scores are included in the overall score and the lowest one is 'dropped'.

To achieve the requires the columns containing the scores from the individual tasks to be categorised before including the these columns in a calculated column.

Module Leaders must collate all marks for their module and clearly indicate the marks for each task identifying the tasks and the weightings as per the module descriptor. Complete sets of internally moderated marks must be submitted on a spreadsheet to Student Administration by the marks submission deadline. The spreadsheet must be in Excel format and preferably downloaded from the Grade Centre in Blackboard.